Home Photos Photo Help

Churches & Cemeteries

St. Elizabeth's Church Lefor, ND

File Name: T11R_14.jpg
Approximate date:  2000
More of:  Steve Herold





St. Elizabeth's Church Lefor, ND

File Name: T11R_17.jpg
Approximate date:  2000
More of:  Steve Herold





Grave marker in Lefor cemetery

File Name: T12R_11.jpg
Approximate date:  2000
More of:  Steve Herold


An interesting grave marker overlooking 4 graves.


Grave Marker at Lefor Cemetery

File Name: T12R_12.jpg
Approximate date:  2000
More of:  Steve Herold


Interesting grave markers


Moritzfeld Church

File Name: MoritzfeldT.jpg
Approximate date:  Unknown
More of:  Don Mingesz


This Roman Catholic was built in Moritzfeld, Hungary in 1786. Moritzfeld is now Maureni, Romania.


Catholic Church in Engelsbrunn

File Name: MU003T.jpg
More of:  Mary Ann Unger


First some information on Engelsbrunn, now Fintinele. The town was established in 1766 with 97 colonist families (352 people). The settlers came mainly from Trier, Lorraine, Luxembourg and the Saarland. By the spring of 1767 there were 104 families and 500-600 people! The original name was "Kisfaluda" meaning "small village" in Hungarian. In 1768 following a visit of Josef II, the town was renamed "Engelsbrunn" because the founder had put an angel (probably of wood) on the well over the spring in the center of the town. Today there is a column with a metal angel in the park in front of the Catholic Church, on the old spring's site.

The Catholic Church was dedicated in 1780, after the steeple scaffold fell during construction in 1799, killing five people and injuring another 19. In 1848, during the Hungarian Revolution, the church was struck (and still bears scars) by cannon balls. In 1853, the church received an organ and a 870 pound bell, new benches were purchased and the floor was covered in Kehlheim marble. In 1916, for the war, the benches are removed and the bells are requisitioned along with the organ pipes. In 1923, new bells are purchased, the organ gets its pipes and benches are installed. In WWII, the church sustains light damage.

Catholic Church and park, in foreground, white column has the "Angel over the Sring" statue at top.

Photo credits: Ed Dukarm.


Catholic Church in Engelsbrunn

File Name: MU004T.jpg
More of:  Mary Ann Unger


View of the main altar from choir loft.

Photo credits: Ed Dukarm.


Catholic Church in Engelsbrunn

File Name: MU005T.jpg
More of:  Mary Ann Unger


View of the Mary altar from choir loft.

Photo credits: Ed Dukarm.


Catholic Church in Engelsbrunn

File Name: MU006T.jpg
More of:  Mary Ann Unger


Organ as it appears today.

Photo credits: Ed Dukarm.


Church in Katreinfeld

File Name: BM005T.jpg
More of:  Barbara Marshall


Katreinfeld